[Samba] MS authentification with white space

Ullrich Maenz ullrich at familie-maenz.de
Fri Apr 11 17:05:20 GMT 2003

Hi together,

with our first implementation of Samba running under Linux on s/390 we are
running in problems because some of our users authentificate to the windows
domain with their full name, i.e. "maenz ullrich". Logon to Samba services
failed because user (and password) verification seems to stop at that
whitespace without ignoring it - by the way, it's impossible to create an
unix user with a whitespace in its name, and it's even difficult to create a
username with more than 8 characters.

We solved that problem by adding
	user map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	user level = 7
while our user map file looks like
	ullman = "maenz ullrich"

So far, our solution works pretty good. However, if we want to add all users
defined in that Windows domain, we need to maintain a smbusers file with
approximately 500 entries.
In addition, there are some usernames similar (like: schmid, schmidt,
schmitt...) - this is why we choose "user level = 7".

My question(s): is there anyone who'd run into a problem like this? Will it be
helpful to use our Windows PDC as a password server. How can we automate
creating a new user to this environment?

Many thanks for some ideas.
:-) Ulli

Ullrich Maenz
Karlstr. 16