[Samba] Re: samba not working

Ralph Bard ralph.bard at willowtec.com
Mon Apr 14 13:44:23 GMT 2003

Thanks for the responses guys (Craig I've copied your email thread at
the bottom of this) but I got a solution in a very weird manner.

To summarize, I did the original RH8 install with smb and it didn't
work. Although the daemons fired up smbstatus would error out due to
missing lock db files. The machine would show on network neighborhood
but double clicking resulted in "machine not found".

Copied over some db files and that resolved the smbstatus error. Tried
every combination I could think of with smb.conf but it stayed
consistent - machine not found. Someone suggested using swat as it was
informative. Found the install did not include it so I downloaded samba
and rebuilt. Ended up with everything I needed in /usr/local/samba and
all daemons came up, swat worked etc. Still no change/improvement.

Had a friend of mine install rh8 on his laptop and test with his w2k and
xp machines at home - it worked right out of the box! Had him come by
with the portable and it worked on my network as well, taking the
windows machines, routers etc out of the equation. We duplicated his rh8
install as closely as possible and still nothing, even switched back to
the original smb configuration.

Finally gave up, blew away the machine and reinstalled linux from
scratch. The only things I did differently this time was to not install
the office productivity nor the firewall. This time smb came down with
the expected lock files (/var/cache/samba) and although very slow to
announce itself, finally worked. I have backed up my w2k server and my
xp portable successfully on the samba share. Only difference is the w2k
machine put down 7.7gb is less than an hour and my xp machine, on the
same network at 100mb, has taken 6 hours to put down 8gb. I think it
just needs to be tuned for broadband though.

Just wanted to pass this on as something worked at all, at last.

-Ralph

Um, Sound familiar, Send me a copy of you smb.conf and smbusers files

did you add your users to smbpasswd with

# smbpasswd -a unix_local_account_user_name

have you checked the log files when logging on:

eg:

# tail -f /var/log/smbd.log
# tail -f /var/log/smbd.log

you can change the following options in smb.conf to provide better
detailed
log's:

log level = 2
debug level = 3

But be sure to change them back to at least (1), otherwise you'll get
big log's
with useless info in them,
once it's running.

Also, Send me a output of the dir permissions you have set the
directories on
the Linux box your samba server is sharing.

I'll have a look at it and should be able to provide a solution.

Regards,

Craig R. Marshall
B.E (Hons), M.Eng.Sc., CCNA
Senior Software, IP Telecommunications