[Samba] Problems building Samba on SuSE Linux 8

dj at 4ict.com dj at 4ict.com
Mon Apr 14 08:20:38 GMT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Hall, Ken (IDS ECCS) wrote:

> I've been having problems building Samba on SuSE 8 (S390), and I've made some progress figuring out why.
> The error is "Redefinition of structure statfs" during compile of smbd/server.c.
> There are two statfs.h include files on my system:  One in /usr/include/sys, and another in /usr/include/asm-s390, and they're different.  The Samba include.h file includes the one from sys, if it
> finds it, but there's a later chain of includes starting with capability.h that includes the other one, and it tries to redefine the structure.
> Problem is, I'm not sure which is correct.  The arrangement on my SuSE 7.2 system is a little different.  I can't tell if this is a bug in the include files, or in the Samba configure.
> Odd thing is that the Samba 2.2.5 package that came with my system won't recompile for the same reason.  I've opened a bug report on the Samba site, and I'm trying to open one with SuSE, but there are
> administrative hurdles I need to deal with first.
> Does anyone have any ideas about this?  I've heard from one other person experiencing this on PPC.

It is a common error on all SLES8 versions to my experience. The problem
is the lipcap pacakge. This package contains the second statfs.h. So one
way to resolv it is to remove it.

The other solution is to edit the samba source. Find the file
include/includes.h and add a line

#define _LINUX_VFS_H 1

between the "#ifdef HAVE_SYS_VFS_H ... #endif" condition.

That should fix it.

Kind regards,
Tim Verhoeven

Tim Verhoeven
                                Linux & Open Source Specialist
GSM : 0496 / 693 453                          + e-business solutions
Email : dj at 4ict.com                           + consulting
URL : www.sin.khk.be/~dj/                     + Server consolidation

More information about the samba mailing list