[Samba] Re: samba not working

Bruce Faulkner bruce at faulkner.ws
Mon Apr 14 03:38:15 GMT 2003

Richard, Ralph:

    I'm having this very same problem and have been now for a couple of
months, ever since I purchased Redhat 8.0 Pro and installed it.  I have two
samba boxes on two different networks.  One of them at work and is:
Win2000pro
RedHat Linux 8.0
Samba 2.2.5
the other at home and is:
Win95B
RedHat Linux 8.0
Samba 2.2.8

Both of the computers on both networks are on the inside of the firewall.
On the Win95 system I unplugged the router (firewall) from the hub in case
it had some influence but it didn't help.

I've tried different samba config files, even the one from the Unofficial
Samba Web Site and one from a friend that is successfully running samba.  On
the Unofficial Samba Web Site they have a trouble shooting section.  All of
the tests pass up through the first half of step six.  The second half of
step six does not work and the second half of step seven doesn't work.  The
first half of step seven does work.  I haven't tried any further steps.  I
can connect to and view files on the Win95 computer from the Linux computer.
They don't offer any solutions if any steps in the troubleshooting doesn't
pass.

I hope someone has the answers for both of us.

Bruce Faulkner