[Samba] Samba on MacOSX and printing

Jim Morris jmorris at rtc-group.com
Fri Apr 11 13:55:32 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 01:57, maraqas wrote:

> Printer works great when directly connected to the iBook
> Don't know which version of Samba running on it (how can i get this
> information?)

Your iBook is probably running an Apple maintained version of Samba
2.2.3 (I know mine is!).

> Really can't imagine the cause of this problem. Has anyone experienced
> something analogous?

I had a LOT of issues similar to this printing directly to a Windows
printer share from my own iBook.  My solution was to install/enable the
LPR print server component, which is on Windows 2000.  Then it looks
like a UNIX LPR printer. Printing to it from any UNIX box, including OS
X on the iBook, will then work just fine.  The LPR server is the IP or
machine name of the PC on your network, of course. The print queue will
be the same as the printer share name, but all lowercase I believe.

--