[Samba] Re: Detecting Samba server from Windows?

Tom.Williams at diversifiedsoftware.com Tom.Williams at diversifiedsoftware.com
Wed Apr 9 21:54:50 GMT 2003

Since I've got a NT PDC around I've solved my login problems by using
"password=domain" in my Samba configs on AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, and Linux and
that works out very well for us.  :)

Peace.....

("another") Tom

|---------+------------------------------------------------------------------>
|         |           <tandrew1304 at earthlink.net>                            |
|         |           Sent by:                                               |
|         |           samba-bounces+tom.williams=diversifiedsoftware.com at list|
|         |           s.samba.org                                            |
|         |                                                                  |
|         |                                                                  |
|         |           04/09/03 02:39 PM                                      |
|         |                                                                  |
|---------+------------------------------------------------------------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                   |
  |       To:       <samba at lists.samba.org>                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                         |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Samba] Re: Detecting Samba server from Windows?              |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

            "Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective
data center operations."

you guys are very strange sometimes :)

seriously, about 90% of peoples problems with samba on here could
be
fixed by doing 2 things..

1.  make Windows 9x network id and password  =  unix user you
want to log in as
2.  add  "netbios name = <NT-server-name>" in the global section
of smb.conf

NT based kernels (XP/2000/NT) require the  "netbios name" to
be set,
otherwise it will not work.

security level = user,
win9x uses your login id and password in windows, to log into
samba, NT/2000/XP
prompts you for an id and password.

if you DON'T do this for 9x, you will have problems logging into
IPC$
to fix this, just simply change your windows 9x id and password,
because
basically prompting for a password to IPC$ means it cannot find
the userid and
password you specified. NT/2000/XP prompts you for it when it
tries to access
the server,  9x prompts you for it when you startup your computer.
just two different methods is all :)

if you do just those 2 things, you shouldn't have to modify your
smb.conf
file AT ALL from the original defaults :)   thats what I do under
redhat 8 and 9
and Mandrake 8 and 9, and works just fine under all platforms
:)

-Tom-