[Samba] PDC and Clear passwords

Joost De Cock Joost.DeCock at astrid.be
Mon Apr 7 17:46:45 GMT 2003

Hi all,

In the pdc-howto that came with my samba 2-2.5 (on RedHat 8.0) it is stated
clearly that encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC.
However I am trying to set up SAMBA as a PDC for a bunch of windows boxes that
will authenticate on the stadrin pam module (www.stadrin.com) using Vasco otp
tokens.
For the pam module, it is a requirement that the passwords are sent in clear
text.

Futhermore, I have SAMBA set up as a PDC, I successfully joined the domain and
I can login with my domain account. However, logon script doesn't run, and if
I try to open a share, I get the username popup asking me to authenticate.
Filling in the exact same stuff as the account I used to logon gets me
through.

1. Is is possible to do pam authentication with clear passwords om a PDC
2. Could it be that the continious password prompting is caused by the
clear/encrypted story.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Joost

PS: I did the clear passwords registry hack, it didn't change anything.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.