[Samba] XP Machines/profiles/migration issues

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sat Apr 5 20:53:22 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jim Wharton wrote:

> Would it be possible to use this tool (profile3) to copy an NT4 profile to a
> 2000 box? It must be possible to do it since MS can do it during an upgrade.
> Does anyone know of a tool for this.

You can do it from the NT Control Panel->System->Profiles.

The reason I suggested using the profiles tool from samba3 is that the
domain controller. In this case, you will probably want to have the
current profile retained. While you could go around to each workstation,
and guess on which workstation each user most recently logged into, and
copy that profile to the server, I think it would be a lot less effort,
and more reliable to do this on the server.

Note that the tool is only called profiles3 the Mandrake samba3 packages,
where we use the major version suffix to prevent clashes with the binaries
from the standard samba (2.2.x) packages to allow simultaneous
installation. It's normal name should be 'profiles'

Regards,
Buchan