[Samba] Samba from win2k client

Michael G. Noble mnoble at rfmagic.com
Thu Apr 3 15:43:15 GMT 2003

Samba does not use the UNIX/Linux /etc/passwd file, it will only look at
the smbpasswd file.  You need to add users to the smbpasswd file.  You
can do this with the following command: smbpasswd -a <user name>.  If
you have swat running, you can use the swat interface to add users as
well.
Since you did not show your smb.conf file, I will assume that your
Samba server is standalone, you should make security = SHARE and
encrypt passwords = Yes.  Win2k sends encrypted passwords.
If you need to sync the UNIX/Linux passwords to the samba you can use
the following:
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
unix password sync = Yes

Mike