[Samba] Explorer hangs for about 5 minutes before displaying samba share contents

Sundar, Murali murali.sundar at intel.com
Wed Apr 2 20:02:43 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a pda running Linux and Bluetooth (wireless connectivity at < 1Mbps).
I have a samba server on the device. Now I establish an IP connection over
Bluetooth to the device from windows xp. At this point, from windows, I am
able to use the "net use" command and map a drive to a share on the device.
>From the command prompt, I can view the files, edit them, save them into the
share etc. So far so good. However, If I type "explorer.exe z:" (assuming Z:
is mapped to the samba share), explorer locks hangs (appears to hang) for
about 4-5minutes and then it comes back to life and I can see the files,
folders on the samba share. What is going on? Is there some registry setting
or something that I can do on the windows side. I read about the "scheduled
tasks" thing and I deleted that registry key so I am pretty sure that is not
causing the delay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Murali