[Samba] Properties & File xfer slow over VPN

Philip Burrow phil.burrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 11:40:01 GMT 2002

I'm running a couple of domains across a FreeSWAN VPN. I have one WINS
server which everything uses. Browsing works, etc. The only problem is that
file transfers are *incredibly* slow and it takes an age to bring up the
properties for anything. I appreciate this could be down to the link speed,
but the upstreams of all connections are 256k and are only lightly used,
with pings across the VPN being around 60ms, so I would expect around 15k/s.
I get more like 3k/s. FTP is fast, so I guess it's Samba. There appears to
be loads of network activity on the Windows (XP) clients I'm using to test.

I have this set on all of the Samba boxes:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

Should I just experiment with these options?

Phil.