[Samba] Successful integration using Winbind - not a dream

Robert W. Dempsey rdempsey at atlanticdominionsolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 11:13:00 GMT 2002

Good Morning to All,

     I have a Red Hat 7.3 box with Samba 2.2.5 successfully integrated
with a Windows 2000 domain.  I am using a Win2K Domain Controller to
hold all of the user accounts.  I use WebMin 1.0 for the administration
of my Linux box, and am able to pull up domain user accounts when
putting permissions on files on the RH machine.  I used a combination of
resources to do this.

     First, read the article located at
http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39050042,00.htm. This
will show you what files to change.  I also went onto the Win2K domain
controller did the following:

1.  Start -> Programs -> Adminsitrative Tools -> Domain Security Policy
-> Windows Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
2.  LAN Manager Authentication Level = Send LM & NTLM responses
3.  Start -> Run -> cmd
4.  secedit refreshpolicy machine_policy
5.  secedit refreshpolicy user_policy

     After this, I rebooted the Win2K Domain Controller for good
measure, and I also rebooted the Linux server to ensure that all of my
services started in the proper order as this appears to definately have
something to do with it as well.  I have only been able to get a RedHat
box to fully integrate, although I also have Mandrake 9.0 RC2 working
quite well for a client.  If you all have any questions, please feel
free to respond and I will try to help you as best as I can.  I will be
out for the day so I won't be able to respond until later (8-10 hours
from now).  Good luck, and may Lnux light the way to the future for all
of us!

Sincerely,

Robert W. Dempsey
Atlantic Dominion Solutions