[Samba] Successful integration using Winbind - not a dream

Robert W. Dempsey rdempsey at atlanticdominionsolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 11:13:00 GMT 2002

Good Morning to All,

     I have a Red Hat 7.3 box with Samba 2.2.5 successfully integrated 
with a Windows 2000 domain.  I am using a Win2K Domain Controller to 
hold all of the user accounts.  I use WebMin 1.0 for the administration 
of my Linux box, and am able to pull up domain user accounts when 
putting permissions on files on the RH machine.  I used a combination of 
resources to do this.

     First, read the article located at 
http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39050042,00.htm. This 
will show you what files to change.  I also went onto the Win2K domain 
controller did the following:

1.  Start -> Programs -> Adminsitrative Tools -> Domain Security Policy 
-> Windows Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
2.  LAN Manager Authentication Level = Send LM & NTLM responses
3.  Start -> Run -> cmd
4.  secedit refreshpolicy machine_policy
5.  secedit refreshpolicy user_policy

     After this, I rebooted the Win2K Domain Controller for good 
measure, and I also rebooted the Linux server to ensure that all of my 
services started in the proper order as this appears to definately have 
something to do with it as well.  I have only been able to get a RedHat 
box to fully integrate, although I also have Mandrake 9.0 RC2 working 
quite well for a client.  If you all have any questions, please feel 
free to respond and I will try to help you as best as I can.  I will be 
out for the day so I won't be able to respond until later (8-10 hours 
from now).  Good luck, and may Lnux light the way to the future for all 
of us!


Robert W. Dempsey
Atlantic Dominion Solutions

414 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314


More information about the samba mailing list