[Samba] Problem adding machine to a domain

Pavel Stulik pstulik at peregrine.ntu.edu.au
Mon Sep 30 01:12:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I came across a starange problem while adding a Window PC to samba
domain. I run samba-2.2.5-10 on RH-7.2 with 2.4.9-34enterprise kernel.
When I try to add WinNT PC to a domain I get this error:
"Machine account for this cmputer does not exist or is unavailable".
Obviously there is a problem in creating machine accouts. I checke that
account "machine-name" does not exist in /etc/passswd and in
/etc/samba/smbpasswd.
However if I create "machine-name" account in /etc/passwd and then try
to add the PC I get the following error:
"Unable to add or change account on the domain. The account information
entered does not grant sufficient privilage to create or change
account." I should add that I log in a local WinNT machine as local
administrator and try to add machine account to a domain as root, so I
should have sufficient privilages. It looks like samba root does not map
to system root.Another point is that the secont procedure actually
create a machine account in /etc/samba/smbpasswd (the one in /etc/passwd
was already created manualy before) with password NO PASSWORD.

#====== Global File - Defines all virtual Servers + options common to
all =================
[global]
    netbios name = testhomes
    netbios aliases = testadmin testprint testshare
    server string = testgroup server
    hosts allow = 168.192. 127.
    hosts deny = 168.192.128.43
    domain admin group = @testadmin
    workgroup = testgroup
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
    ;uncomment below for debugging - can go to level 10 but much more
than 3 is useless
    log level = 3
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    ;common
    encrypt passwords = yes
    password level = 0
    username level = 0
    #winbind enum users = no
    #winbind enum groups = no
    interfaces = 168.192.135.20 127.0.0.1
    wins support = yes
    wins proxy = yes
    enhanced browsing = yes
    dns proxy = yes
    remote announce = 168.192.128.3
    remote browse sync = 168.192.128.0/testgroup
    ;debug uid = yes
    ;debug pid = yes
    max log size = 1000
    ;security = domain
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    null passwords = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    pam password change = yes
    ;Network perf options
    change notify timeout = 120
    socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=14596 SO_SNDBUF=14596
    keepalive = 0
    ;discard unused connections after five minutes
    deadtime = 5
    ;Raid performance options
    ;try some benchmarks with different sizes
    ;write cache size = 65536
    ;number of bytes to receive before writing or sending over network
(default 16384)
    ;read size = 14596
    ;Netbios options
    ;name resolve order = lmhosts,hosts,wins,bcast
    name resolve order = wins,bcast,lmhosts,hosts
    ;max time in seconds to keep NETBIOS names in cache default is
259300 (3 days)
    ;#max ttl = 259300
    ;max time in seconds to keep NETBIOS names in WINS cache default is
518400 (6 days)
    ;max wins ttl = 518400
    ;min time in seconds to keep NETBIOS names in WINS cache default is
21600 (6 hours)
    ;min wins ttl = 21600
    ;Use Australian defaults - default is 850 (US)
    ;client code page = 437
    ;Stop processes getting out of hand
    ;max smbd processes = 1000
    max open files = 50000
    include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L

Can you please give me some hints how to solve this problem. There is
nothing in the log files. Thank you.

Regards

Pavel Stulik