[Samba] How to let users create/delete files but not dirs

Hannes Schmidt mail at schmidt-net.via.t-online.de
Sun Sep 29 22:48:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

the subject says it all. I want to allow my Windows users to create and
remove files in a particular directory on my Samba share, but they should
not be able to create or delete sub-directories of that directory. The
reason for this is that I do not want users to mess up the directory
structure on that share, which happens just too often right now - thanks to
drag and drop.

I looked at various ACL implementations and file systems incl. Samba's ACL
emulation but they all seem to support the rwx type of permissions only. The
problem is that rwx doesn't make a difference between subdirs and files in a
directory. Any ideas?