[Samba] Samba with a Win9x network and RoadRunner

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Sun Sep 29 06:33:00 GMT 2002

DJ Busch wrote:
> Now on to the problem:  As most of you are already aware, RR uses DHCP to
> assign IP addresses to client machines at boot time.  This seems to be
> causing Samba to have problems resolving the machine names.

I don't know what RoadRunner is, but at home we have an ADSL router
that acts as a DHCP server. But this doesn't prevent me from assigning
IP numbers within the server's IP interval. The DHCP server will
try and ping the IP number before giving it to a client. If the
number is already taken, a new one is assigned.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08