[Samba] Large file sizes.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Sep 26 21:49:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Rich Parker wrote:

> Since these are '/mnt' drives, I can't figure out if our problem is
> Linux, or Samba related. We are using RedHat 7.0 (I know that 7.2 is
> avaible) and it came with Samba 2.0.10. Would ALL of these issues be
> dealt with in the new version of RH 7.2?? Or will I still experience
> file size problems even if I reload the new OS? I have no issues with
> getting the "Latest & greatest" versions of Samba & RH Linux, but I need
> to be 100% sure that I don't have file size limitations in the GB range,

Get a 2.4.19 kernel source tree and apply this patch:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/01-smbfs-2.4.18-lfs.patch.gz

Then get the samba source tree and apply the negotiation patch:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html#smbmount-negotiate

Build and install both the kernel and samba (be sure to ./configure
--with-smbmount) and it should work, if you use smbmount as described on
the page.

This code is semi-stable, but you should consider verifying the backups.

/Urban