[Samba] Large file sizes.

Rich Parker RichParker at fssi-ca.com
Thu Sep 26 21:08:01 GMT 2002

Hello and thanks for your informative web site.
I went searching through looking for information on MAX file sizes with
Samba, unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate what info I needed after
an hour or so of searching. What OUR issues are here are we have a NAS
using WinNT that our Linux server is accessing. We have a need to
COPY/MOVE/TAR a file from one server (NT) to another. What my goal is,
is to backup requested data (Files in excess of 15GB) in TAR format to a
given location on our NAS, building a TAR file throughout the day, then
in the evening (Say 12AM) we would GZip the file down for further
Archiving. What the issue is, is I can't work with files greater than
1.8GB, the File Sytem shows this is the size of the file, even if it is
larger than 10GB.

Since these are '/mnt' drives, I can't figure out if our problem is
Linux, or Samba related. We are using RedHat 7.0 (I know that 7.2 is
avaible) and it came with Samba 2.0.10. Would ALL of these issues be
dealt with in the new version of RH 7.2?? Or will I still experience
file size problems even if I reload the new OS? I have no issues with
getting the "Latest & greatest" versions of Samba & RH Linux, but I need
to be 100% sure that I don't have file size limitations in the GB range,
I expect to be dealing with files in the 10-40GB range on a daily basis,
we are a service bureau so our customers send us this kind of data every
day.

Can you please provide me an answer or two to these questions??

Thanks you ahead of time.
--
Rich Parker
http://www.fssi-ca.com