[Samba] DNS server and printing.

Darin Bawden dbawden at teamdme.com
Mon Sep 23 17:41:43 GMT 2002

Good afternoon,
This is my first post, so please be gentle  ;)
Anyway, here's my question....I've recently put together a Linux Server for
our company, replacing an old Novel server.  I have the box set up with
Samba, as a PDC on our network.  So far, just about everything is working
correctly.
         One issue I'm coming up against, though, is printing from DOS.  I
have Samba set up to print with LPRNG, using the client drivers (reason for
that is it keeps the default settings for each user on their machine.  If
there's a better way, than enlightenment would be great).  Anyway, the
problem we are having is, when printing from DOS, it's spitting out the
printer setup at the top of the first page and it's unformatted.  If need
be, I can send the conf file for review (I'm not sure which sections to
send).  Oh, and in case it hasn't shown yet, I've only been working with
Linux for about 18 months now.
         Second question isn't a problem, it's more of idle curiosity.  We
have a router set up at a 10.1.*.* address internally.  We used to have a
Citrix box that was the DHCP server.  we've received our DNS servers from
our provider, which I've plugged into the DHCP config file pointing out to
the external world.  What, if any benefits, would I receive if I were to
set up the Samba server to include DNS support?  But then again, is this
even a question I should be asking here!  LOL

thanks in advance!

Darin Bawden
dbawden at teamdme.com