[Samba] DNS server and printing.

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Sep 23 19:32:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 13:40, Darin Bawden wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> This is my first post, so please be gentle  ;)
> Anyway, here's my question....I've recently put together a Linux Server for
> our company, replacing an old Novel server.  I have the box set up with
> Samba, as a PDC on our network.  So far, just about everything is working
> correctly.
>          One issue I'm coming up against, though, is printing from DOS.  I
> have Samba set up to print with LPRNG, using the client drivers (reason for
> that is it keeps the default settings for each user on their machine.  If
> there's a better way, than enlightenment would be great).  Anyway, the
> problem we are having is, when printing from DOS, it's spitting out the
> printer setup at the top of the first page and it's unformatted.  If need
> be, I can send the conf file for review (I'm not sure which sections to
> send).  Oh, and in case it hasn't shown yet, I've only been working with
> Linux for about 18 months now.
I don't really understand the problem  - what is the printer setup?
Are you sure it's not a problem with your dos application?

>          Second question isn't a problem, it's more of idle curiosity.  We
> have a router set up at a 10.1.*.* address internally.  We used to have a
> Citrix box that was the DHCP server.  we've received our DNS servers from
> our provider, which I've plugged into the DHCP config file pointing out to
> the external world.  What, if any benefits, would I receive if I were to
> set up the Samba server to include DNS support?  But then again, is this
> even a question I should be asking here!  LOL
samba doesn't do DNS...
maybe you're thinking of WINS
The advantage of WINS is that the Network Neighborhood doesn't break
down as often and machines don't have to broadcast when they boot up.
However, you do need to configure the clients to use the WINS server.
Since you indicate that you are using DHCP that should be easy - just
add  option netbios-name-servers 10.X.x.x. to your dhcpd.conf file.

brad