[Samba] replacing the default samba clients on Windows platforms

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 21 23:44:00 GMT 2002

Rajiv Dayal wrote:

> I want to replace the default samba clients with the one that I can
> build using the client code from samba.org along with some modifications
> to it. Is this possible? This is for Windows 2000/XP/Me systems. I would
> like to know how can I do that so that all applications like the Windows
> Explorer or others using the Windows Common Open Dialog can still access
> the files on the samba server using this modified client instead of the
> default ones supplied along with these Windows systems?

No, Samba does not supply a windows client - we stick to the server and
posix client stuff only (plus smbfs etc).  In thoery, such a client can
be written - it's just an installable filesystem essentially, in the
same way as Novell maintians their client, but there isn't much interest
in doing so.

One of the main benifits of Samba is that by and large we don't require
client modifications to function.  (and where we do, like the WinXP sign
or seal issue, we are working to correct that and fall back in line with
MS).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org