[Samba] /etc/fstab

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Fri Sep 20 10:24:00 GMT 2002

Freitag den 20.09.2002 um 11:26 CEST  +0200, schrieb Axel Heinrici:
> Hi
>
> On Friday 20 September 2002 09:52, Frank Matthieß wrote:
> >
> > Try smbfs. On Linux you have to setup a kernel with smb
> > filesystem support. You need smbmount smbumount, which are in the
> > "smbfs" packet on debian systems.
> >
> > The packet information give me the hint, that this is out of the
> > samba source.
>
> What do you mean by this? I really do not understand. A few days
> ago I compiled samba-2.2.5. There is a configure option to also
> compile smbmount.

Do you compile with smbmount?

If you do so, read the manpage of mount:

-t vfstype
    For  most  types all the mount program has to do is
    issue  a  simple  mount(2)  system  call,  and   no
    detailed   knowledge  of  the  filesystem  type  is
    required.  For  a  few  types  however  (like  nfs,
    smbfs,  ncpfs) ad hoc code is necessary. The nfs ad
    hoc code is built in, but smbfs and  ncpfs  have  a
    separate  mount program. In order to make it possi­
    ble to treat all types in a uniform way, mount will
    execute   the  program  /sbin/mount.TYPE  (if  that
    exists) when called with type TYPE.  Since  various
    versions  of  the  smbmount  program have different
    calling conventions, /sbin/mount.smb may have to be
    a shell script that sets up the desired call.

fm at fortytwo:~$ ls -l /sbin/mount.smb*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root  17 06-28 08:05 /sbin/mount.smb -> /usr/bin/smbmount
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root  17 06-28 08:05 /sbin/mount.smbfs -> /usr/bin/smbmount

> This may cause problems. At startup "mount -a" is called before
> network is up (at least in some distributions). So better add the
> "noauto"-option and mount the specific share later (after network
> coming up) by a separate skript.

I prefer debian systems. debian mount all local fs'es first. After
startup of networking, they setup the remote fs'es.

--
Frank Matthieß                                          fm at Microdata-pos.de