[Samba] Debian server

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 07:34:30 GMT 2002

Hi

I've just built a Debian 3.0 Woody Samba server with version 2.23a.
Using stable rather than unstable.

After putting it into a network with another Samba server I find that
the Win98 client machines can't connect to it but they can connect to
the other server.  The other server is set to OS level 65 and the new
one is somewhere below that.

I've run all the usual tests and they all work fine except for the
first one "smbclient -L BIGSERVER".  After running this I get
"NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".  Not knowing what this means it doesn't
help much.  Had a look in /etc/resolv.conf and everything would seem
to be fine in there.  Ping any machine anywhere on the network
without a hitch.  Looked at the man pages couldn't find a reference
 to this.

Can anyone explain what the above error message means and how can I
actually get the Win98 clients to login eventually after
troubleshooting this peculiar problem ?  Not seen it on RedHat or
SuSE boxes only on a Debian box.

--
Thanks

Richard