[Samba] Novell vs Linux.

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Tue Sep 17 07:04:01 GMT 2002

Montag den 16.09.2002 um 19:13 CEST  +0200, schrieb Ed Kasky:
> At 12:35 PM Monday, 9/16/2002, Trevor Fraser wrote -=>
> >experience.  I was approached with the question of why should a company
> >consider changing from Novel to Linux, but due to the fact of knowing
> >little
> >about Novel, I could only mention the pros of Linux, and therefore an
> >incomplete answer.  I would appreciate brief advantages of Linux over
> >Novel.
>

> I have a somewhat heterogeneous environment here and utilize both.  I have
> no windows servers.
>
> I use my linux box as an email server, a list server, an ftp server.  I got
> my CNE before I started to learn linux and as a result,  we use one Novel
> machine as a firewall and web cache with BorderManager.  One other serves
> as the main file and print server.
>
> As I see it, the one major advantage for us with Novell is NDS.  We use it
> fairly extensively to handle rights to network resources.

Samba is capable to authenicate against a ldap v3 server. For this ldap
version exist inside the samba source a "samba.schema" file.

Last Saturday, Volker Lendecke (vl at samba.org)  was ask this question,
and he said: If there is no Problem with the ldap implementation of the
nds, there is no reason for samba not to authenticate against nds via
ldap, using the samba.schema.

But he very intrested for a succes story of that kind of installation.

BTW: Also the linux boxes are able to authenticate against ldap via
nss_ldap and pam_ldap.
(http://www.padl.com/Contents/OpenSourceSoftware.html)

So you are able to manage your network completely with ldap/nds.
--
Frank Matthieß                                          fm at Microdata-pos.de