[Samba] printing in dos slows

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Sat Sep 14 16:03:28 GMT 2002

Afraid that I don't have any _direct_ experience with DOS printing to a
Samba printer...

However, if it works like what I do know, the delay may be due to how you
are printing via DOS.  You don't say which Windows you are using (9x?  NT?
2K? XP?).

In 9x (when I last had to do DOS printing), the LPT1: port is 'captured' to
the network printer.  As far as the DOS program knows, it is sending the
job to the LPT port, and all is fine.  Problem is that Windows has know way
of knowing when the DOS program is done printing, except to guess: "Gee, I
stopped receiving stuff for LPT1 15 (or 30, or 45) seconds ago, I guess it
must be done. I better send the print job to the printer."

While I think you _can_ adjust the timeout period, if you set it too short,
you may corrupt your print jobs, depending on the complexity of what you
are printing (text only? graphics? that sort of thing).

The "best" way to fix it is to get your clients off of DOS! :-)  (yes, yes,
I realize this may not be an option in the real world, before you
complain...)

- john

--On Saturday, September 14, 2002 4:17 AM -0400 Joel Hammer