[Samba] Add machine account

Malte Starostik malte at starostik.de
Thu Sep 12 19:05:01 GMT 2002

Check /etc/passwd if the user name really contains the trailing $ (maybe
your shell would have needed adduser MACHINENAME\$), if not, edit
/etc/passwd manually using vipw. You can as well get rid of the
uppercase letters by, erm, using lowercase. Machine names aren't case
sensitive.
Also, you might want to set the home dir to /dev/null, login shell to
/bin/false and primary group to a group dedicated to machine accounts
for that user.

HTH,
-Malte