[Samba] "delete list" parameter

Yura Pismerov ypismerov at tucows.com
Fri Sep 6 13:20:01 GMT 2002

Vinay Pawar wrote:

> Hi,
> Samba has the "read list" and "write list" parameters in smb.conf.
> I'm looking for a patch that provides a "delete list" option.
> So that only that list of users can delete files or directories
> in that share. I know the filesystem doesn't natively have a delete
> bit, but couldn't it be done on the samba level, independant of the
> filesystem.

	If sticky bit on a directory (that allows deletion by owner of the file
only) does not suffice you should probably look at ACL support. You will
have to use a filesystem that supports ACLs and re-build your samba
--with-acl-support. Here is some info regarding Linux ext2/3 ACL
implementation - http://acl.bestbits.at