[Samba] Problem on mount.smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Sep 2 18:33:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, ricky wrote:

> Dear Samba Support,

This is not samba support.

> Currently I'm using redhat 6.2 with kernel version 2.2.14-5.0
> and samba server version : samba-2.0.6-9
>
> I have configured our samba server as member of NT domain.
>
> Everything works well, ie: I can join to PDC server and also mount our file
> server into our samba server
>
> But everyday in our samba server on file /var/log/messages, I got messages:
> Aug 30 14:49:49 ultest kernel: smb_request: result -32, setting invalid
> Aug 30 14:49:49 ultest kernel: smb_retry: new pid=28360, generation=3

The server disconnects and smb_request detects this (and prints its
annoying error message) and then smb_retry brings the connection up again.

SMB servers are apparently free to disconnect whenever they want to, so
it happens. You can set the 'autodisconnect' timeout on the server (some
obscure registry setting, google for it).

> Also everytime if we reboot the server we always get this message:
> smb_request: result -32, setting invalid

Again, the connection is lost when you reboot.

> Please support me how to solve the problem or what's the problem coming
> from.

What is the problem?

The messages themselves are harmless. If you are seeing problems with
"Input/Output error" it is recommended to upgrade both the kernel and
samba to the latest RH errata versions for RH 6.2.

/Urban