[Samba] File types and performance

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 2 12:55:02 GMT 2002

>From: "Robert W. Dempsey" <rdempsey at atlanticdominionsolutions.com>
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: [Samba] File types and performance
>Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:42:12 -0400
>
>Hello,
>
>  I am wondering if Samba cares what types of files you are putting onto
>the server and if this effects the performance of the server.

Firstly, it won't effect it.  It might affect it.

The affect it might have will be indirect, at best.  Samba uses the OS
it's running on to actually write the files to disk, so it's much more a
function of the Operating System than anything else.  Especially if the
underlying filesystem is using compression (unlikely).

Once a file transfer is started, Samba tends to not be the bottle neck,
it'll be either the Network (Card, IP stack, cabling etc.) or the disk
subsystem (hard disk, drivers, filesystem etc.)

Does 'FTP'ing the same files give similar results?

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)