[Samba] bizarre issue with opening Quicktime files from a share

Frank Joerdens frank at joerdens.de
Thu Oct 31 16:11:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

this would be one of the freakiest problems I've ever seen: If I open an
e.g. JPEG or Quicktime Movie with the Quicktime player application from
a share, it won't work if the file is inside a folder that has a name
which is longer than 12 characters. If I open the same file with e.g.
the Internet Explorer, no problem. If I put the folder on a local disk
or another Windows computer on the network (!), no problem either.

I was able to reproduce the problem with both Samba 2.0.6 and 2.2.4.

Any ideas? Could someone check if they have the same problem (it might
be somthing I've configured identically on both Linux boxes).

Cheers, Frank