[Samba] codepage-conversion for smbclient

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Wed Oct 30 16:05:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 04:26:54PM +0100, Andreas Schlager wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've browsed through the archives, but I didn't find a answer for
> this:
>
> I use smbclient to access a windowsNT 4.0 server.
> I get only '?' for filenames which contains Umlauts.
> F.e., a file called "Verknüpfung" is displayed as "Verkn?pfung".
>
> I use following mount-string:
> mount.smbfs //SERVER/Share /home/xxx -o rw noexec nosuid nodev user
> codepage cp850 iocharset iso8859-1 credentials /etc/credentials

You got no error messages with exactly this commandline?

I try this between (2.4.18 on debian sid agains nt server 4.0)

mount -t smbfs 						\
	//ntserver1b/C$ 				\
	-o rw,							\
	credentials=smbfs.credentials,	\
	codepage=cp850,					\
	iocharset=iso8859-1 /mnt/tmp

and have no Problems reading öäüÖÄÜß's in file and dirnames.

> I played around with the codepage and iocharset option, but without
> success.
>
> Version of mount.smbfs: 2.2.3a-6 for Debian
> Kernel: 2.4.18 (I386)

smbmount "Version 2.2.5-1 for Debian"

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de