[Samba] codepage-conversion for smbclient

Andreas Schlager aschlager at kaindl.com
Wed Oct 30 15:29:01 GMT 2002

Hi list,

I've browsed through the archives, but I didn't find a answer for
this:

I use smbclient to access a windowsNT 4.0 server.
I get only '?' for filenames which contains Umlauts.
F.e., a file called "Verknüpfung" is displayed as "Verkn?pfung".

I use following mount-string:
mount.smbfs //SERVER/Share /home/xxx -o rw noexec nosuid nodev user
codepage cp850 iocharset iso8859-1 credentials /etc/credentials

I played around with the codepage and iocharset option, but without
success.

Version of mount.smbfs: 2.2.3a-6 for Debian
Kernel: 2.4.18 (I386)

The ugly thing is, that on a old machine running samba 2.2.2debian-2,
Kernel 2.4.9 this works fine.

I get nuts! Please help!

Many thanks,

-Andreas.