[Samba] Machine can login, Machine(s) cant.

Jim Durham durham at jcdurham.com
Tue Oct 29 22:48:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 09:46 am, Brandon Hagedorn wrote:
> Here is my scenario; I have a FreeBSD 4.7 Release running Samba 2.2.6.
> I am using samba as a PDC.  I have installed everything need including
> the Win XP Sign or seal registry patch.  I added a one XP machine
> account for one machine, and it works fine.  Logging in and mounting
> network drives with a netlogon script.  As soon as I add another machine
> in the same subnet, different machine name, etc. I am not able to log
> into either of the two machines now. Here is the windows error that pops
> up." Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain
> controller is down, or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer
> account was not found, Please try again later.  If this message
> continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance."
> I have looked at the logs. nothing unusual as far as I can see.  I have
> included my smb.conf file if this would help anyone. Any suggestions??

From what I can see your smb.conf looks OK. We're running 3 offices
from a Samba PDC, (samba-2.2.4_1) and it works fine.

Did you create separate machine accounts for each machine in /etc/passwd?

Does the 2nd machine report that it has joined the domain?

We have about 50 XP machines here running from 2.2.4_1 and working fine.
Here is the top of my smb.conf file...

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = GROUP1
        netbios name = UnixServer
        server string =  Fileserver
        interfaces = 192.168.100.244/24 10.20.20.1
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes