[Samba] RE: Can you assist me? I have seen yours and Jennifer Fountains corr espondence

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Tue Oct 29 14:47:28 GMT 2002

1. What version of samba?   You should be trying 2.2.5 or 2.2 6 for one of
the more stable winbind releases.

2. Are you running NIS?  Try changing the winbind separator to _
(underscore)

3.. Did you put winbind in your nsswitch.conf file?  If so,  did you force
the  system to re-read that info (happens automatically on solaris,  must
run nsadmin restart on Irix,  don't know about other platforms).

4.. Is that a typo in your smb.conf file where the username map entry is,
or just a typo in the mail message?

5. If none of these simpler things does the job,   try removing the username
map and the valid users first and see how far you get.  You can check the
client connection logs (~samba/log.hostname) to see who samba thinks you are
when you try to access the share from the PC.  Add your username map back
into the picture and see if "who you connect as" changes.   How you are
being identified in the connection log should help you figure out if you
need to put domainname+username or just plain username in for the valid
users.   Solve this piece by piece to get  the exact combination that does
what you want rather than adding too much complexity.

Let me know how it goes,

        Karen Wieprecht