[Samba] SMBFS files receiving incorrect timestamps

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Oct 28 21:48:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Kris Kelley wrote:

> When I discovered this was happening, I unmounted all SMBFS shares, and
> remounted them.  This fixed the problem; all files created now have the
> correct timestamp.

smbfs sets the mtimes itself. Not really sure why it was done like that,
but some comments claim that NT4 doesn't set mtime properly otherwise. It
would be better to just let the server handle time.

The 1-hour diff is probably the daylight savings change. smbfs is told by
smbmount what the server timezone is, as minutes from GMT. Of course this
changes with the daylight savings ...

> switch from daylight savings time.  I suspect the 1-hour discrepancy I
> saw today has something to do with the daylight savings switch, but if
> that is the case, what caused some files created on Saturday (26
> October) to receive timestamps for this coming Wednesday (30 October)?

No idea. Never heard anything like it before and would guess that the
client time actually was wrong (at that particular time).

/Urban