[Samba] SMBFS files receiving incorrect timestamps

Kris Kelley skunkworx at kingwoodcable.com
Mon Oct 28 20:58:27 GMT 2002

Hello all.

Our system consists of two linux machines, each running Red Hat 7.1
(kernel 2.4.9-34), using SMB to mount multiple shares hosted by a
Windows 2000 Advance Server.  smbclient from Samba 2.2.5 is used to do
the actual mounting.

Over the weekend, a number of files on these SMBFS shares were created
with incorrect timestamps (modification times).  In some cases, the
timestamps were off by as much as four days!  Today, every file created
by the linux machines, even those created by "touch" called without any
extra arguments, received timestamps that were one hour ahead.

When I discovered this was happening, I unmounted all SMBFS shares, and
remounted them.  This fixed the problem; all files created now have the
correct timestamp.

The Windows host and the linux clients all have their system clocks set
correctly, and their system clocks were updated automatically during the
switch from daylight savings time.  I suspect the 1-hour discrepancy I
saw today has something to do with the daylight savings switch, but if
that is the case, what caused some files created on Saturday (26
October) to receive timestamps for this coming Wednesday (30 October)?

Most importantly, how do I keep this from happening again?  Please let
me know if more information is needed.  Thank you.

---Kris Kelley