[Samba] Is 2.2.6 Final?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 28 20:55:59 GMT 2002

Markus Schabel wrote:

> John H Terpstra wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, William Jojo wrote:
> >
> >>Just tought I'd follow up and see if 2.2.6 is truly the last release of
> >>samba_2_2 CVS branch.
> >>

> >Yes, 2.2.6 is the latest stable release.
> >
> So there will never be a stable samba again? ;)

:-)

> >We hope that this will be our
> >last update. All samba-team resources are now focussing on getting 3.0.0
> >readt for release. Right now 3.0.0 is still changing significantly and we
> >would not recommend it's use in a production environment.
> >
> >>We've got six systems running it with no visible issues.
> >>

> >If it is not broken then why fix it?
> >
> the last version I had problems with was 2.2.3a (on a SuSE system) and
> 2.2.4 (there were problems with LDAP, all solved since 2.2.5)
>
> >>I'm currently testing CVS from Sunday's pull of 3.0...is this the
> >>direction I should be heading?
> >>

> >Yes. But do your home work. Test, test, test, and give us feedback.
> >
> I'm currently working on a PDC for about 300 LDAP-based users, I guess
> with LDAP there is no problem when migrating to 3.0? Probably I'll run
> the actual CVS parallel....

Depending on how you also use LDAP, there are some good reasons to move
to 3.0.  In HEAD, pdb_ldap now has connection caching, and does not
modify unchanged attributes (these benefits provided by metze, who has
the significant advantage of using samba on a large and complex ldap
infrastructure).

We hope to move this stuff into the next 3.0 alpha.

Samba 3.0 also adds 'ldap passwd sync', to help keep the LDAP and SMB
passwords in sync.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org