[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Oct 25 12:36:30 GMT 2002

Reading through Jeremy's eagerly awaited discourse on oplocks/share
modes/locking, I read this bit :

> ... if you need simultaneous
> file access from a Windows and UNIX client you *must* have an
> application that is written to lock records correctly on both
> sides. Few applications are written like this, and even fewer
> are cross platform (UNIX and Windows) so in practice this isn't
> much of a problem.

but my brain kept stumbling over "isn't much of a problem" (;-)
.... surely that should say "isn't much of a solution" ?

I only mention it in the interests of honing the discourse as it heads
towards the docs.

Cheers

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK