[Samba] plea for sample config files : accessing samba from windows...

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Oct 25 12:26:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:32:12 -0700
> From: Joel Thompson <joel at rhinosystemsinc.com>
> To: Joel Thompson <joel at rhinosystemsinc.com>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] plea for sample config files : accessing samba
from windows...

Posting again, due to no response. If you can't share the working config
files, then please let me know the essentials to getting this going....
(there are a lot of options in the conf file, that I don't know if I
should ignore or make sure to set). Thanks, Joel Joel Thompson wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am having a lot of difficulty setting up samba (2.2.6-1) on
>> linux (REDHAT 7.2), and accessing from Win2k.
>>
>> I have been able to get the share working for smbclient, while
>> on the LINUX box, but have not been able to get anything
>> working from a Windows box.

Even after trying \\<IP address of samba box>

  I have done the following
>> after scouring the network for solutions.  I have modified
>> the register settings on windows to allow none encrypted passwords,

This isn't necessary, and isn't desirable if you are trying to set up a
domain.

>> (You can find out how to do with on MS's website), however
>> this didn't work.

You can also find example .reg files in the samba docs directory.

>> If you can send me your config files or mocked up to protect
>> the internal integrity of your system, I would surely appreciate
>> it (as I know a million other struggling samba admins would as
>> well).  Also explain a little about the DOMAIN, and what
>> kind of Authentication you setup.
>> Please, please, please help!

This may be a better example:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/smb-domain-controller.conf

It's the standard smb.conf shipped with Mandrake, just with the
domain-related options uncommented. Has some useful things. Works best
on Mandrake of course (due to correct directories in place, ACLs
available out-the-box etc).

This may also be useful:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html

All that you should need to do with the above example file (after saving
it to the appropriate place) is:

1)Change the workgroup name
2)Add an smbpasswd for root:

# smbpasswd -a

Then follow the instructions on the web page.

Buchan

- --