[Samba] Install to alternate location

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Fri Oct 25 03:09:01 GMT 2002

Jennifer Crusade wrote:

> I am trying to download and install samba with winbind but I can not make it
> go to a different location,   I do not want it to go to /usr/local/samba
> because when I do then the system does not use the new version.  I have
> tried to link the new version with the old but I could not get that to work
> either.
>
> If someone can assist me in making an install go to an alternate location as
> well as how to make the system use the new install from an alternate
> location.  I would like to know how to do both.

I suggest you let the installation go to /usr/local/samba.  You will
need to take a look at your startup scripts.  Since you didn't say
what version of Unix you're running there, I'll go ahead and assume
it's the same as I'm using. (That's what you get for not providing
detailed information. ;-)  On Red Hat Linux, the script to
start Samba is /etc/init.d/smb.  You can change it to run the daemons
from /usr/local/samba/bin rather than /usr/sbin.

I'm not sure, but I think that will do it.

BTW, if you are having that much trouble getting the daemons to run
from another installation directory, I wonder if you really want to
try installing/configuring winbind!  It's not nearly as simple.

Jay Ts