[Samba] MSDFS info...

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 09:34:00 GMT 2002

>Hi, I'm new on Samba...
>
>I'm trying to set a samba server with a DFS share. I have found this
>example:

[smb.conf removed for brevity]

>root# ln -s msdfs:storageA\\shareA linka
>
>root# ln -s msdfs:serverB\\share,serverC\\share linkb
>
>but what are the setting of the samba server storageA, storageB and
>storageC for the shareA and share?

Nothing special needs to be done on the other three server (A, B and
C).

You just set up a share called 'shareA' on server storageA, and a share
called 'share' on both servers storageB and storageC.  They're
completely normal shares.  (You can even map directly too them from you
client machines to test)

(Note, life will get very confusing if the share called 'share' doesn't
contain exactly the same things on both server B and C)

[Side note.  Make sure your 'smbd' binary ws compiled with 'msdfs'
enabled for your MSDFS server to work.  The other servers (A, B and C)
don't need MSDFS support]

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641000 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)