[Samba] XP clients & inexplicable pauses

Bart bartro at go.ro
Thu Oct 24 06:06:01 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-admin at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-admin at lists.samba.org]
On Behalf Of Jeremy Wohl
Sent: 23 octombrie 2002 22:53
To: Paul Cochrane
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] XP clients & inexplicable pauses

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:19:47PM +0100, Paul Cochrane wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2002 at 21:26, Jeremy Wohl wrote:
> > I recently upgraded two client/server pairs to WinXP and Samba 2.2.6
> > (on Linux).
> >
> > Browsing mounted shares causes hangs when right-clicking or
double-clicking/
> > launching files -- about 15 seconds.  During this, precious little
network
> > activity is occuring.  Something is hanging, locking, sleeping.
When I upgraded my machine from windows 98 to windows 2000 I had a
similar problem. Machines with a 'new' installation of windows 2000 did
not have this delay. Also, when I log in to a machine (roaming profile)
with a 'new' win2k installation, it has this delay. A roaming profile
created on a machine with a 'new' installation, however, has no delay,
even not on my upgraded machine. Seems to me it is something in my
HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry settings, inherited from windows 98.

> Do you have the netware client installed on these machines? This
> causes timeout problems when right clicking in explorer. There are
> workarounds to relieve this problem which I can explain if this is the

> case.

Unfortunately, no. :)

-j