[Samba] XP Clients joining samba domain.

Jeffrey Borg jeffreyb at futureschool.com.au
Wed Oct 23 22:16:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I keep coming across this problem.

Samba is samba 2.2.5

Go to join a winxp box to the domain and it all appears to work fine. When
you restart you can not login because it wasn't done properly.

Here are my obversations from samba.

A) In the logs there is always this
[2002/10/24 07:12:43.415583, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(545)
  Couldn't find user 'nobody' in passdb.
But that dosen't affect operation for machines which are on the domain
peoperly.
B) The smbpasswd file contains.
machinename$:515:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO
PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [NW         ]:LCT-3D B65944:
C) The only way I have fixed this in the past is to reinstall xp from
scratch on the client machine. Something which I really do not want to do.
And it's no guarantee it will fix the problem.

If you need any more information please let me know.

--
Jeffrey Borg
BKW Investments Pty. Ltd.
jeffreyb at futureschool.com.au