[Samba] Printing from Linux to Windows 2000

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Wed Oct 23 16:45:02 GMT 2002

I've seen a lot on printing from Win boxes to printers on Linux boxes.  I've
found very little on printing from Linux to Windows printers.  The HOWTO has
some information and I've found several other sources, but I still can't get
my Linux box to print to a Windows 2000 printer.

I'm using Mandrake Linux 8.2, Samba 2.2.3a, CUPS (I'm not sure of the version,
I think it's ), which I'm managing through the KDE control panel.  I have an
Epson C60 on a Windows 2000 box that I need to be able to access from Linux.
I'm doing this on my home office lan, but I need to do the exact same thing
(with a different printer) on a friend's lan.

I used the CUPs control panel and told it to scan the network.  It found the
Win2k box that's the host for the printer, but not the printer.  I tried
typing in the info manually, but nothing prints.  I used the CUPS web admin
tool and found I kept getting the error message:

"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry again in 60 seconds....'Success"

That is the only message I get.

I'm testing everything on my own LAN, since I figure once I get it to work on
my LAN, it'll work okay on my friend's.

I know I'm asking for free help, but I need to get my friend's computer
printing to his Win2k box asap, so any help I can get on this soon is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Hal