[Samba] Roaming Profiles, My Documents and XP

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Tue Oct 22 15:24:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

I successfully joined an XP machine to my Samba PDC.

When looking at the profile folder on the samba server for the user (which I
had to create manually.  Is there a way this can be done automatically?) I
saw the My Documents folder was copied up.

I was thinking this was cool because people would have their stuff stored on
the server and wouldn't have to teach them anything different.

One problem I thought though was if they have like a gigabyte of documents.
Would this mean it would have to download all of that before it would finish
booting?

Also, I created a folder in the My Documents folder and copied some files
into it to see if it copied up, it did.  I went to delete it and it cleared
out.  I logged off and back on and files inside the deleted folder were
gone, but the folders returned.  Is this a problem or do I need to fix
something?

I have no problem going back to a login script to set a home directory for a
mapped drive, but apparently the login scripts for win98 machines aren't
same for winxp (location ways), but I will look into that.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com