[Samba] Problem with Samba on Solaris 2.6

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Tue Oct 22 14:18:04 GMT 2002

It is only "visible" if you have a SunSolve account. Unfortunately, the
access won't help you all that much. The solution is to rebuild samba with
spin locks (i.e. with the --with-spinlocks configuration option). From a
letter from Jeremy to the Sun rep that is quoted in the Bug report
---

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:42:36PM +0100, Andy Bowers wrote:
> Hello,
>     is it valid to rebuild samba with spin locks instead for solaris ?

Yes this will work, but is not a production solution. The problem
is spinlocks are user level, and if an smbd goes down holding
one we're screwed. There's also no way to prevent an unfortunate
kill -9 at the wrong time.

                            Jeremy

---
So there is no real "Solaris fix", unfortunately.

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation