[Samba] Problem with Samba on Solaris 2.6

Walter Mautner rentuam_retlaw at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 22 05:13:00 GMT 2002

[Please don't use HTML here if possible. I have to insert
quote signs by hand now]

Walter Mautner wrote:
> Subject: [Samba] Problem with Samba on Solaris 2.6

>> Have you configured smb.conf correctly that last Friday?

> I am assuming Samba is configured correctly. The configuration is not
radically different
> to the Samba installation on our office Solaris machine, and that has
been running without  > problems for sometime.

>> Does DNS and reverse DNS work there?

> Yes, DNS works fine.

>> How many smbd or (most probably ...) nmbd processes are building up?

> Will have to wait until tomorrow to get them to check. But from what I
understood from the > person I was talking to today there is a single
smbd and nmbd process running and the smbd > process just starts
gobbling up memory until everything falls in a heap.

Sometimes this happens if a small typo is happening
to one of smb.conf's parameters, testparm might not even notice it.
Another possibility is a bad download.
I would suggest you set debug level to 3 and watch.
Also, as I remember, winbind at this version (2.2.2) had
a memory leak and was "just for testing".
Hope you don't use it?
When there's more time, try to get 2.2.6 or at least 2.2.5.
Whenever possible, download the sources and compile it at the
destination machine, using appropriate config options.

Greetings from Vienna :)