[Samba] Printing probleme Samba 2.2.3.a with CUPS

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Oct 21 23:19:22 GMT 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, linux power wrote:

> There is a bug in samba printing cups at least for
> version 2.2.3 and up. It cant resolve -P %p in the
> print command line. Fix it by replacing -P %p with the
> absolute path to the printing device found in lpstat
> -v
> IE.for my usb printer.
> [global]
> printcap name = lpstat

why lpstat if you are using CUPS?  See comments below.

> [printers]
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   print command = lpr /dev/usb/lp0 -o raw %s;rm %s -r
>   printable = yes
>   printing = cups
> Try this and add the rest of the commands to the
> printer section.

So I've been thinking about this and was just about to dig into
fixing it, but am confused.  Did you compile Samba to include
the cups libraries?  If so then setting

[global]
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups

is all you need.  You don't need the "print command" in this
case as smbd will send directly through the cups API.

If smbd is not linked with the cups library, then I'm curious
why configure did not pick them up for you.

cheers, jerry
 "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed.       ISBN 0-672-32269-2