[Samba] Wierd error logging into Samba 2.2.5 from Winxp

Josh Hiner jdhiner at hline.org
Mon Oct 21 16:39:00 GMT 2002

Thanks for the idea about making sure the machine name was added to passwd
and smbpasswd but that was not exactly the problem but led me to the answer.
The computer name that I added to the Linux box was EvoLaptop1 (notice the
mix of upper and lower case letters in the name). I also added this to
smbpasswd. This machine name also conincided with the one on the laptop.

I re-named the laptop evolaptop1 (all lower case) and added the machine name
to passwd and smbpasswd (all lower case also) and now it works!!! Looks like
you cannot mix upper and lower case letters in your computer name and
machine name on the Linux box??!

Thanks
-Josh