[Samba] DNS error connecting to Domain

Walter Mautner rentuam_retlaw at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 21 04:18:12 GMT 2002

> Subject: [Samba] DNS error connecting to Domain

> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2000 Pro SP3 Laptop, and a RH 7.3 server
> running Samba 2.2.5.
>
> One day it refused to connect to the domain, said it wasn't
> available, couldn't access \\server01\user\profile directory,
> and refused to browse the samba server. Reboots didn't work.
> I unjoined the domain, and it complained that it could not
> remove the machine account from the server. After I rebooted
> it, I tried to join the domain again, and got a message
> (sorry, but this was a few hours ago) something like this:
>
> DNS lookup error. Unable to lookup the Domain controller in
> the Active Directory. Cannot contact domain.

Sometimes when joining a XP box, I get a similar error message.
 Continued text says, it needs a WINS server as alternative (at
Least what I remember). Then I say AH and add my samba servers
IP to the tcpip settings (advanced ...) as WINS server and
Everything's fine. Yes, "wins support = yes" should be set.