[Samba] slow logon (and logoff) to Samba PDC

l. a. walsh lwlsh at tlinx.org
Sun Oct 20 22:24:01 GMT 2002

How do I tell Windows98 not to copy the profiles to the local computer
but to leave them on the server instead?

I have several old Win98 clients that have hard disks transferring
around
1Mbyte/second on a clear day (and defraged disk).  They have all been
upgraded with 100Mbps ethernet and often get faster I/O to network
disks than to local.

So I'd like to put home directories on the server (a donated fiber
channel based RAID beast w/multiple ethernet interfaces) and skip
local user storage of data.

I haven't figured out how to tell Win98 to stop copying the home
directories to the local servers (where everything operates more slowly
anyway).

Why can't these things be more simple....sigh.

As an aside, the 'admin' they had set everything up for them did things
in a tad peculiar fashion.  Things like having all workstations
autosignon as 'root' so they could access the common database on the
file server (owned by root).

Still haven't figured out if that is causing another of their problems
--
they sometimes get random database behavior -- as though records aren't
stored properly.  I don't believe they have any locking setup on the

I don't know if individual records are setup on disk-block boundaries or
not.

Since they're a non-profit operating at the mercy of donations, I've
been volunteering to try to look at things (partner works there and, as
little as I know, they know less).

Any ideas on how to turn off the autocopying?

Thanks!
linda